In this big Ring Doorbell Review, I will give you a Comparison between the Ring Doorbell vs. Ring Doorbell Pro. You will find how to install ring video doorbells (wired) and some insights into the ring video doorbell app. Additional some example real video footage of the Ring Video Doorbell as well. Let’s do it!
Ring Doorbell Review & Comparison
What is the Ring Video Doorbell?
The Ring Video Doorbell and the Ring Video Doorbell Pro are both simple to install smart doorbells with integrated video cameras. Both give you the possibility to talk to your visitors without being at home as they both provide two-way audio capabilities.
What is the Difference between Ring Doorbell and Ring Doorbell Pro?
- Only the Ring Video Doorbell with the bigger case has batteries inside. This lets you install this device even completely without wiring! The Ring Pro requires existing wiring.
- The Ring Video Doorbell Pro Now has Full HD Video with 1080p instead of the 720p of the not Pro version. It also provides a wider angle for the view. See examples in the video above.
- The Doorbell Pro now also uses 5G WiFi for a more stable connection and better Live-Video-Streaming
- Especially if your Smart Doorbell Camera is looking into a huge area the new Feature of creating an individual grid that is watched by the motion sensors come in very handy. Only the Ring Video Doorbell Pro has this feature.
You get a good overview of the main features and differences between both Ring Doorbells,
when you take a look into the table below:
Ring Doorbell Review
How to install the Ring Video Doorbell?
Installation of both smart video doorbells is quite simple.
If you use the wired connection (which is our clear recommendation as you never run out of battery or have to change) you just simply follow an easy 5 Step Process. You find the full process explained in our video at the top about the Ring Doorbell Review from 0:00 to 5:18 – Ring Doorbell Installation:
- Demount your existing Ring
- Mark the two drilling wholes and prepare them
- Attach the two existing cables to your Ring Video Doorbell / Pro
- Fix it and attach the Front-Plate
- Attach the Power-Amplifier to your Bell/Sound-Giving-Device within your home
If you do not have a wire near by you can even combine different devices of the Ring doorbell. For example if you already have installed the Ring video doorbell Pro at your front door but no wires at the backdoor, you can install a Ring Doorbell with batteries there and control both from within the app.
You can even enhance your security by using the Ring Stick-Up Camera for any place around the house to monitor this area as well. The motion sensor and the HD Video is combined with rings two-way audio solution which gives you a convenient and secure setup.
You can find how to install ring doorbell in the video from 0:00 to 5:18 – Installation
Ring video Doorbell – Review
Using the Ring Doorbell App
The Ring Doorbell App is really easy to use. But it has a real ton of features. Especially when you integrate more then one Ring-Device to your Home Security System you will be overloaded with possibilities to configure each of them separately and the system as whole. You can find a brief overview on some of the features in our video about the ring doorbell pro 5:18 to 6:28 – App-Tips.
Customizing the Ring Doorbell App:
- define the sensitivity of each motion sensor
- define several sensor grids (see image below). These are areas where the motion sensor triggers and action like recording, alarm or message, of course you can define these as well; and – for each Ring-Device separately.
- name your devices to always know, where the alarm/motion/push of the button was triggered.#
- Configure Live View and Recording settings (cloud based service which you have to pay additional $30 yearly or $3 per month (basic).
Talk or Mute your Microphone
- define who else can monitor your Smart Ring Doorbell Pro or who will receive messages and alarms. Just send them an e-mail from within the app and they are good to go (after downloading the app).
- …. and tons of other stuff
This may sound overwhelming but during our Ring Doorbell Review of the PRO version, the app showed a good clear structure especially compared to some of Rings opponents like the Sky Bell HD or the Vue Bell WiFi HD.
Ring Doorbell Review & Comparison
Audio/Video Quality and Night Vision
Video Quality of both smart Ring Doorbells is good. Personally 3 of 5 from our interns were not able to recognize a real difference in the camera video footage when compared directly. So the Full HD Camera of the Ring Video Doorbell Pro has a slightly wider viewing angle, which we really preferred. From this point of view the higher price for the Doorbell Pro would only slightly improve your user-experience.
We collected some video examples for you. You will find them in the video: 6:28 to 7:07 – Live Videos
As you can see in these ring doorbell video examples, the Night-Vision was a kind of surprise for us. We expected an improvement of the night-vision from the Doorbell Pro, but it was the other way around. The normal version of these two smart doorbells had the better, especially more colorful night videos. On the Pro all Night-Shots looked kind of monochrome (see awesome Pizza Delivery Guy 🙂 ).
The Audio Quality and the two-way “listen and talk” capabilities are the most used key-feature during our Ring Doorbell Review. The possibility to get a notification to a mobile device when someone rings at your door while you are away is amazing. Beein able to talk to the person is key.
Tell the delivery guy where to put your packages through your mobile device. Scare away burglars and strangers detected by the motion sensor by telling them you are in the cellar and what you can do for them. This feature really gives you safety and convenience.
If you want to max out this form of peace of mind and convenience – combine your Ring Video Doorbell with one of the best smart doorlocks and you can
- see who is there
- talk to them
- grant access if you want
CONCLUSION / RING DOORBELL REVIEW
Is the Ring Doorbell/Pro worth your money?
In my opinion – absolutely yes. They are well crafted, the software and Ring App is fully functional and the boos of home security, peace of mind and convenience is immense.
PROS & CONS
PLUS RATING DOWN BELOW
Not one of the smart doorbells we tested in the past comes close to the experience of these two WiFi enabled devices. They truly belong to the best wireless doorbells (normal version) and wired doorbells on the market today
Daily accurate, best price on Amazon
You can find more in depth REVIEWS ON SMART HOME SECURITY in the sidebar or below.
If you liked our Ring Doorbell Review – we love to exchange and connect – just leave us a comment below. Any questions not answered – just ask us below, we will try to help you as best as possible. If you are looking for other Smart Home Security Reviews you will find some in the Sidebar to the right.